Thursday, November 29, 2012

Shaanxi: Visit the Ancient Ceramic Town


On June 13 of this year, my Beijing-Xian one day tour came to an end and I took a plane back to Beijing. I remembered that as soon as I got off the plane in Xian Xianyang International Airport and met my old friend Pei Jingde, a famous wildlife photographer in China, he told me that he would take me to an unique ancient town, Chenlu Town in Tongchuan City. It is said that it is “a world famous town of ceramic”, which is hailed as “the living fossil of eastern ceramic-making”and “eastern ancient ceramic town”. But I had known little about it before I came.

Located in the boarder of Loess Plateau and Guangzhong Plain, Chenlu is a small town which is also the continuing of the most famous folk kiln in north China — Yaozhou Kiln. When we drive into Tongchuan, the a vast of wheat field came into our eyes. It was near the harvest time, and ears of the wheat turned yellow. When a gust of wind swept by, the wheat rippled in the breeze just like wave in the sea.

It is deduced that the history of the ceramic-making can be dated back to the ages before Tang and Song Dynasties from the board between the beams. The ceramic-making got it highest peak Jin and Yuan Dynasty, and it has been continued for more than 1,400 years till now. In modern time, the potters in Chenlu still use the primitive method to produce ceramics, which can be said as a living fossil of ceramic-making. If you are interested in China’s ceramics, Chenlu is a must-see tourist attraction when you conduct a Xian tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment